Full View Aluminum and Glass Overhead Garage Doors
Full View Aluminum and Glass Overhead Garage Doors. These are also referred to as “Contemporary Aluminum and Glass” or “Glass Garage Doors”. The perfect choice for architectural applications that require bright light, open visibility and a modern, industrial feel. Full View aluminum and glass garage doors can be used as a standard exterior garage door, as an interior “partition” or even as a versatile patio door to seamlessly merge indoor and outdoor spaces. Often used for restaurants, service stations, car dealerships, fire stations and contemporary commercial retail and office spaces with a distinct architectural appearance, Full View garage doors are now becoming more and more popular as a residential option.
For privacy, we can add frosted or tinted glass, which further enhances the beauty and functionality of this option. Best of all, with their rugged, anodized aluminum construction, Full View garage doors sections require little or no upkeep other than the normal lubrication and spring system maintenance. Note: The rollers, springs and track on all overhead doors can and do still require maintenance and periodic checks.
A few more thoughts on this type of door. There are pro’s and con’s regarding this application.
The Pros are:
- The look of the door. No other door option is as contemporary.
- Viewing area; This door allows the most viewing area and allows a door to act as a moving window. In areas where a great view is required and easy removal of the wall is required this is a good choice. Also, this moving wall can be easily motorized to allow convenient and safe operation of the door at the touch of a button.
- Low maintenance and no rusting issues: The panels are aluminum and do not rust. The glass should last for many years.
- Color and Glass Options: Rather than strictly brushed aluminum, many manufacturers can also create options such as Dark Bronze, or Powder coat and color customers desire. Also different thickness and types of glass can be used to obtain different qualities like insulation, UV control and tinting requirements.
The Cons are:
- The weight of the door is typically more than a standard steel door.
- The glass used on the door can be more susceptible to breakage.
- Insulation: This door is difficult to insulate and relies much on the insulation values of the glass. Also aluminum is a good conductor of heat and these door do not achieve typical R values which can be obtained with insulated steel doors.
That being said, if your application requires this type of door, we have installed many in Austin and we represent Four different dealers for this type of door. Each has it’s own advantages. Give us a call and let’s talk about what you are trying to do and the door that fit’s you best. We represent Clopay, AMARR, Raynor, and Wayne-Dalton.
Give us a call at 512-335-7441. We have on operating Full View door in our show room for your examination at 1408 N Bell Blvd, Cedar Park TX 78613.